Monday 26 May 2014

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (1987)

  'My Girlfriend's Boyfriend' (L'ami de mon amie) is a 1987 film directed by Eric Rohmer.

  Blanche, a young clerk, has just moved to a new town in Paris. She meets Lea in a restaurant, and the two become good friends. Blanche is introduced to Lea's boyfriend Fabien, and it's not until after Lea goes on vacation, do they fall in love. Blanche insists he still has feelings for Lea, and that she has feelings for Alexandre, but when Lea returns from holiday, events take a different turn.

  My sixth Rohmer film, and fifth in the boxset, is a massive surprise. It is still a Rohmer film, with all his auteur trademarks, but it goes against everything I hated about his previous films. I was expecting a bland and tedious talkfest, but what I got was a visually impressive film with well-crafted characters and an interesting plot.

  Instead of the dull realistic style of 'A Good Marriage' and 'Full Moon in Paris' which are set in bedrooms and depressing streets, the events of 'My Girlfriend's Boyfriend' takes place in the modern metropolis of Cergy-Pontoise. The landscape of the town feels futuristic, with epic buildings and vast concrete streets, however, it's the trips out of town which provide for the best visuals. The green park and large lake remind me of my many holidays to the South of France, and is a great backdrop to the story.

  The characters are the best in any of his films. They do not infuriate like in his other films, which is a big improvement for Rohmer. The characters feel like authentic and genuine people, that are easy to sympathize with. The "naff" problem (I talked about in my 'Full Moon in Paris' review) has disappeared. They dress relatively normally, and nobody has a bad fashion sense.

  The story of a reclusive shy clerk befriending a lively and exciting girl, but secretly falling in love with her boyfriend, is constantly interesting and surprising. I may not have labelled it a "Comedy and Proverb" but it's a great story regardless. One thing I have learnt about Rohmer films is they end however he feels like it. Sometimes they are abrupt, sometimes they are sad, and sometimes they are good. 'My Girlfriend's Boyfriend' will keep you guessing until the final minute.

  It is strange that, everything I complained about in the 'Full Moon in Paris' review has been corrected. It is not just that, but the resulting film is genuinely brilliant. Your eyes do not deceive you, Eric Rohmer has indeed created a good film.



TO CONCLUDE
I thought the day would never come when I like a Rohmer film, but it has finally come. This is his best film by quite a distance.

SCORE
79

No comments:

Post a Comment