Thursday 4 September 2014

Toronto International Film Festival

I am currently chilling in Toronto, in preparation for four days of hardore film watching (that is watching lots of films, not watching films that are hardcore). I have 13 films planned, and I'm going to be too busy to review them. Here is a complete list of films I will watch:

September 4th 2014

6pm Scarlet Innocence (South Korea)
It has been a while since I watched A South Korean thriller. The Chaser, Mother and I Saw the Devil are recent classics, so I decided there was no better way to start the festival.
9pm The Dead Lands (New Zealand)
I know very little about this film. It is mainly filler for the films it is sandwiched between. Its a film about aborigine tribes in New Zealand.
12pm Tokyo Tribe (Japan)
I'll be surprised if I can stay awake for this long. Shion Sono is perhaps my favourite director, having not made a bad film in his 15 year directorial career. This film is a Yakuzza, gangster musical, that I expect to be phenomenal. I am indeed a fan, having seen 11 of his films. Shion Sono may even be there!

September 5th 2014

11.45am Aire Libre (Aire Libre)
This is filler, and optional. It looks awful from the trailer, so I might miss it if I am exhausted.
3pm Winter Sleep (Turkey)
The worldwide acclaimed, 3 hour, Palme D'Or winner, is a film I have yet to get tickets for. I do intend to. I was a bit bored by his previous film 'Once upon a Time in Anatolia', but his work is visually interesting and tells stories at a slow and meditative pace.
8pm Coming Home (China)
Zhang Yimou's latest film. Yimou is known for directing the 2012 Olympic Ceremony, 'Raise the Red Lantern' and 'The Flowers of War' (starring Christian Bale). He is a superb director who is truly a visionary.

September 6th 2014

9am The Tale of Princess Kaguya (Japan)
I would NEVER miss a Studio Ghibli film. This one is directed by Isao Takahata ('Grave of the Fireflies') and is based on a tenth century Japanese fairytale. The reviews have been brilliant thus far.
11:30am Song of the Sea (Europe)
Directed by the same guy who directed the masterful 'The Secret of Kells', this has the exact same animation style.
2pm In her Place (South Korea)
This is, once again, filler, but it has the most potential out of all the fillers. The trailer gives little away, so I know very little about it.
6.30pm Luna (Britain)
The trailer is really quite something. I have to physically pull myself away from the screen to avoid watching it again (incase it spoils the film). The film looks very experimental, and indie. An unanimated 'Waking Life'.

September 7th 2014

9.15am Confession (South Korea)
Another thriller filler. Although I am down with anything South Korean.
12:15am National Gallery (Britain)
I have yet to see a Frederick Wiseman documentary. I'm not sure starting with a 3 hour documentary about London's National Gallery is a good idea...
4.15pm Love in the Time of Civil War (Canada)
I like the name. Watching films based on names has failed me before ('2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams', 'The Wild Women of Wongo', 'Cannibal Woman in the Avocado Jungle of Death', 'Dinosaurus'), but this film has a far more interesting synopsis.

Films I Wanted to See (showing later in the festival or doesn't fit with my schedule)

Beats of Antonov (Sudan)
Looks magnificent from the trailer. About the Sudan civil war, and I would have seen this as well. If it were longer than an hour long.
Rec4 Apocalypse (Spain)
The first Rec is the scariest film I have seen. The second was good and more of the same. The third was atrocious, partly because, they thought it would be a good idea if they put the camera down and shoot it like a movie. BAD IDEA. It's called Rec, the shaky cam should be compulsory. This fourth one also doesn't have shaky cam, and the story has been blown out of proportion (much like the Paranormal Activity franchise). Why is this here then. The director of the first two, Jaume Balaguero, is directing this, but mainly because it is a guilty pleasure.
They Have Escaped (Finland)
Finnish films are quite a rare occurrence. But it does look like a crazy and brilliant coming of age story from the great trailer. Definitely one for DVD.
The World of Kanako (Japan)
Tetsuya Nakashima is quite a director. His films are vibrant, energetic and startlingly dark. This is his latest film, is about a missing girl and a father's plight to save her.
Fires on the Plain (Japan)
The director of 'Tetsuo''s attempt to adapt and remake Kon Ichikawa's horrifying anti-war film, for present day audiences.
Horse Money (Portugal)
Pedro Costa is a little-heard of auteur from Portugal. This film continues the story of Cape Verdean, as he survives in the Portugese slums. The fourth in the series after Ossos, In Vanda's Room and Colossal Youth. I am speechless from watching trailers of his films. The light manipulation in these films are truly beautiful.
The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (Japan)
Who doesn't want to see a documentary on Studio Ghibli? Documenting the creation of 'The Wind Rises' and 'The Tale of Princess Kaguya'.
The Look of Silence (Indonesia)
Follow-up documentary of The Act of Killing, this time told from the victim's point of view. Also directed by Joshua Oppenheimer.
The Years of Fierro (Mexico)
Fascinating documentary of death-row convict Cesar Fierro, who has been locked up for 30 years. Even more worryingly he might be innocent. Gripped me from the first few seconds of the trailer.
In the Crosswind (Estonia)
This looks to be the most visually stunning film of the festival. It concerns the Latvians, Estonians and Lithuanians which were sent by the USSR on trains to the remotest Siberia.
Partners in Crime (Taiwan)
About three high school friends. One of them dies in an alleyway, while the other two discover why she died.
Goodbye to Language 3D (France)
I doubt many people even know (or care) that French New Wave pretentious rebel Jean-Luc Goddard, is still making films. This is probably over-hyped, but I will watch it anyway.
X+Y (England)
An autistic student travels to Taiwan for the Maths championship. Starring Asa Butterfield from 'Ender's Game', 'Hugo' and 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'.
Pasolini (Italy)
I have always thought a film about Pier Paulo Pasolini would be a great idea. This film stars Willem Dafoe (who looks remarkably like him), and chronicles the final days of his life before his assassination.
Mr Turner (Britain)
I have yet to see a good Mike Leigh film (mostly OK and unmemorable), nevertheless he is an amazing director, and this film has heaps of praise.
Leviathan (Russia)
Tons of praise at Cannes, has turned director Andrey Zvyagintsev a name to look out for. His previous work 'The Return' was quite a film.

I will catch-up with the films in this segment during the next year.





I have tickets for all but five of them, the others I intend to buy when they become available. At $18 each (£12), I couldn't stop buying. Now I am about to leave to see some movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment